Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Si Kuya Daddy

If Olongapo City would have an icon, Daddy would perfectly fit and live up to it.

"Kuya, piso!" was his trademark while reaching out his hand asking for a piso. He is on his late 30s. He was wearing a school boy uniform dirty enough for a school fight or after-school games. He walks awkwardly like a seven year old waving at people and sometimes asking for what you're drinking and eating.

The way I figure it, he has the mental age of a seven year old, like the persona of the "I Am Sam". He isn't homeless as he appears sober and clean every start of the week. Well, aside from his weird costumes, that is. His got a family and sometimes as the story evolves they say that his got a RICH family; but the family let him be, like a kid with the whole city as his playground.

I usually see him being teased by tricycle drivers, jeepney drivers and even by policemen: "Daddy piso piso" they say before he can mutter his own line. He would laugh with them with an unexpected curse "pu@g in@", then he would walk away.

But what's comforting with his idea; is that he never change. I came to Olongapo as a kid in early 90's and every time I see him asking for a piso, the old remiscence brings me back to my youth. I think that's what most people find appealing; unchanged lives. We wish we were young forever; We always longed for the old feeling; We envy his forever youth.

They call him Daddy, and that's how everyone knows him. I still wonder what his true name is.

No comments: